[mythtv-users] Multi-rec - thoughts about max no. of recordings

Paul Mason latepaul at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 19:25:42 UTC 2008

On 21/01/2008, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008 12:15 PM, Paul Mason <latepaul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, this weekend I rebuilt my Myth box with svn 15504 in order to get
> > multi-rec.
> >
> > It's all working very nicely but I was wondering about the setting of
> > "max no. of recordings" on the capture card. This is what turns a single
> > real tuner into a number of "virtual tuners" I guess. It defaults to 2. My
> > system has a single SATA2 disc (16Mb cache, 7200rpm IIRC) and my recordings
> > partition is using xfs. I've got a single Nova-T 500 i.e. 2 physical
> > tuners.
> >
> > So I've been thinking about whether I want to increase this value or
> > not.
>

> Keep in mind also that simultaneous recordings from one card are only
> available for channels that share a multiplex.  At least with my QAM
> provided lineup from Comcast, this results in 3 or 4 sets of 2 channels.
> Meaning for me, it would be pointless to increase beyond 2 because I simply
> don't have more than 2 channels sharing a multiplex.
>
> Kevin

Thanks, yeah I am aware of that. I forgot to mention I'm in the UK using
Freeview so we're talking SD resolutions here.

As I just said above I'm mainly just curious, though it will be nice to know
what's possible. The main reason for getting multirec was the ability to do
back-to-back recordings with some overlap.  I've  just set up a test  that
will record  6 programs at once (well for a few minutes anyway - it's 2x 2
back-to-back recordings + a couple of others). I'll let you know what
happens.

--
Paul Mason