[mythtv-users] Multi-rec - thoughts about max no. of recordings

Justin Hornsby justin at mythtvthemes.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 21:25:02 UTC 2008

I don't think disk IO is going to be much of an issue most of the time
when recording multiple DVB channels because of the total bitrate per
multiplex (or transport).  It's not really something that should tax a
modern HDD (in the order of 34Mbits/sec, max IIRC).  That said it'll
probably pay dividends to make sure it isn't an issue by spreading the
load across storage groups on separate disks wherever possible.

As far as I know, other PVR apps capable of recording more than one
channel from a DVB stream don't run into any IO concerns - the big one
for mythtv is the scheduler & the load extra mysql transactions can impose.

What could be very useful is for people to try various configurations &
see how far they can push things before they start to creak - and of
course report their findings.  It's certainly something I plan to do
when I've got myself some new DVB hardware.

Justin