[mythtv-users] Errors Watching x.264 encoded videos..

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 03:54:28 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 6:32 PM, Noah Markon <nmarkon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you're using the Internal player, make sure you rebuild your
> > seektable (i.e. mythcommflag --video <filename> --rebuild).
> >
> > More at: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Repairing_the_Seektable
> >
> > --
> > Joe Ripley
>

> Thanks for the reply, I should have stated that I'm not using
> mythtranscode, I'm actually encoding them on a windows box.

It doesn't matter where they are recorded, the Internal player relies
on the seek table to determine where all the keyframes are in a video
when playing it back.  The rebuilding of the seek table re-scans the
video file for these frames and marks their position in the database.
It uses this index to skip back and forth through the video.

If you're having issues with the internal player, you could try
alternative external players such as mplayer or xine.

I have lots of x264 encoded videos that I play with the Internal
player without problems.  Which revision of x264 are you using?
Perhaps its the codec itself that's causing problems (especially if
xvid encoded files work fine).

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com