[mythtv-users] Mildly OT - How to extract .jpeg snapshots from recordings

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 15:46:18 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 8:16 AM, Brian Jameson <tech at jameson.co.uk> wrote:

> Having created a DVD Archive of recordings I would like to obtain some
> snapshots from the original recordings to form the cover for the DVD.
> Ideally these should be .jpeg or .png. Any suggestions on how to do this
> simply with MythTV, or utilities I could install on the same box would be
> much appreciated.

What I do:

1.  Turn on the feature to create a preview pixmap at a bookmark
2.  IIRC there is also a setting to set the resolution of a bookmark,
increase this as needed
3.  Watch the recording up to the spot you want an image of, pause it, mark
it as a bookmark
4.  Exit the recording and wait a minute
5.  You should have a nice preview PNG file in the recordings folder now of
your bookmarked location

Kevin