[mythtv-users] IDE or CF

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Jan 23 00:40:52 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 1:01 PM, John Drescher wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2008 3:49 PM, Dewhirst, Rob <dewey at ku.edu> wrote:
> My frontend has been running off a 2GB CF for quite some time without
> problems.  Booting is slower, but performance otherwise doesn't seem
> affected.
>
> The most important thing here is that the CF card has wear leveling
> built in or you use a file system that supports that. If you get a
> large enough CF drive and have wear leveling it should take quite
> some time to wear it out considering how slow the CF writes data and
> that each cell can take 100,000 (or more) writes before failure.

I would be surprised if commodity CF cards didn't all have wear
leveling.  Otherwise they wouldn't last long in their typical
application, which is a camera or MP3 player using a FAT filesystem.
FAT is nearly a worst case for a non-wear-leveled flash device because
the allocation table is always on the same sector, and must be updated
with every write.

Still, I would use some common sense measures to reduce the number of
writes, like using the 'noatime' mount flag.