[mythtv-users] Closed Captions: PVR-150 vs. 250

Scott Walker lkomage at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 23 04:59:51 UTC 2008

Maybe someone can clear this up for me real quick.

I upgraded my to Mandriva 2008 (kernel >= 2.6.22, runs IVTV 1.0.0) to
fix some problems in our MythTV system, which currently has a PVR-250 in
it. Since then, the closed captioning has been useless -- many dropped
characters.

The problem seems to be a known one for 250s/350s with the latest
kernels and ivtv 1.0.x, based on looking through here and in the ivtv
mailing lists. The current fix is to either roll back to a lesser kernel
so you can use ivtv 10.x, or don't use a 250/350.

I don't need closed-captioning, but it's a requirement on our main Myth
system due to my wife's vision problems. I happen to be able to get hold
of a 150, but I've read where that series has audio problems (as in
mono-only).

Before I break open two machines, and swap out the 250 for the 150, can
anyone confirm that closed captioning works with a 150 for kernels >=
2.6.22 and ivtv 1.0.x, and that the audio is at least in stereo?