[mythtv-users] Processor

riverty riverty at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 22 15:39:57 UTC 2008

Greg Mischel Smith wrote:
> I'm in the process of building my HTPC with Mythbuntu for playing Over
> the air HDTV.
> I have an AMD 3800+ Dual-Core processor on my home desktop and I just
> purchased an AMD 5000+ Dual-Core processor.
>
> My desktop computer is running just fine on the 3800+, but I thought
> it might be nice to upgrade it and move the 3800+ to my HTPC. Would I
> have a better experience on my HTPC using the 5000+ processor versus
> the 3800+, or will the difference not be noticed.
>
> I currently just have one pcHDTV 5500 card, but I plan to get a second
> one in the future so I probably will be recording and playing ATSC
> HDTV content at the same time.
>
> Greg Smith
> KCMO

Greg,

First, nice to meet you. I'm in Overland Park!

Second. I'm currently running a mythtv box using a 4200 x2 with 2
PVR-150 cards and 1 ATI HDTV Wonder card. No problems and I could say
that I show this machine "no mercy." I have asked it to record 1 HD
program *and* 1 SD program *and* watch a different SD program all at the
same time --> no problems. System seems to laugh at me and say "give me
more dad!"

Other specs:

2 GB DDR-II RAM
1 x 120GB Sata drive (system boot and music)
2 x 320GB Sata drives (1 for active recordings - 1 for DVD movie storage)
Asus MB (I forget which model now)
NVidia GeForce 7950GT 256MB PCIx
2 x Lite-On DVD drives (1 Sata and 1 IDE)
1 x Lite-On CD-ROM drive (for audio use only)
NZXT 550 Watt PS

Soo, upgrade your workstation and use the 3800 x 2 for your mythtv box!
Should be fine. Good luck!