[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Michael Nguyen michaeln at twentyten.org
Wed Jan 23 14:44:20 UTC 2008

Bill Omer wrote:
>>  Antec Fusion 430
>>  Asus P5B-MX
>>  nVidia GeForce 7300GT
>>  (1) Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
>>  2 GB PC2 6400
>>  (1) Hauppauge PVR-500 w/ Microsoft MCE Remote
>>
>>  20X DVD+/-R
>>  (2) 750 GB SATA drives
>>

> Actually, there is one more thing.  What about a hard drive to load
> the OS and run the database off of?  I would recommend not running the
> system and db off the same partition for storage.  And are you going
> to configure the 750gb drives in a raid or use storage groups?

Hmm....  Well....  to answer the first question, I was planning on using
one drive as an OS drive + storage and the other drive as just storage.
I just sort of assumed that MythTV could be configured to use various
storage devices so my friend could just pick whichever.  The Antec
Fusion only supports 2 HDs so I could sacrifice one whole drive as just
an OS drive, but I wanted to give as much storage space as possible.  I
was not planning to use RAID.

So what do you think?  I could go with one of those 10k 36 GB SATA
drives for the OS drive and just have one 750 GB drive for storage.
Would that make more sense?

For anyone else reading this, do you agree that disk activity is high
enough for non-storage functions that this is an important point to
consider?

Michael