[mythtv-users] Where the bottleneck?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:30:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

I having issues with HD video stuttering when a recording stops and begins
commflaging.  After the commflag gets started it plays fine but there is a
45sec period where video is unwatchable.  So where is the bottleneck?

Here is my system:
Fedora 8 64bit/fully updated
MythTV atrpms-bleeding packages
AMD X2 5200 (2.4Ghz)
1 gb of DDR2 800
500gb sata drive (w/10gb system partition and the rest recordings)
120gb sata (w/2.5GB SWAP and the rest recordings)
HDHomeRun
using onboard nVidia 6150 w/128mb Ram allocated.
Dual head display, one 1080p projector for the frontend and one 15"LCD for
admin work.

When all this is happening my Ram is used 73% and 25% is cache.  I use about
350mb of SWAP.  Also when looking at HTOP the processor is not maxed out so
I don't believe that is the issue.

Would a new system only drive help?  More Memory?  PCI-X video card?

Thanks,
Mitchell