[mythtv-users] Where the bottleneck?

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:34:39 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 1:15 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, i do a have a 8gb disk i removed from my Xbox when i modded it.  Will
> that be sufficient for system, logs, and db?.  its only a 5400rpm.
>
> I also forgot to mention.  When all this is going on and i move the mouse
> the system is so slow that the mouse jumps across the screen.
>
> And when closing mythfrontend on the 1080p display the screen builds so slow
> that it takes seconds to move from howing the desktop and the mythbackround
> to load.  (Does this make sense i may need to take a picture of what i mean)
>
> Thanks,
> Mitchell

If you are hitting swap, that's your first problem.  You are obviously
running out of memory, and you system disk is being hit hard by
recordings, and the disk with your swap partition could also be under
a high load.

You should first use that 8 gig drive for you system disk and for your
database.  Make a 1 gig swap partition and use the remainder for /
Then, you may need to either get a new video card (to free up that
128mb of ram) or get more memory