[mythtv-users] The end of analog - Digital Converter Vaporware?

kawayanan kawayanan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:32:31 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008, at 11:32 AM, Greg Mischel Smith wrote:
>

>> As the statement says, the coupons will expire 90 days from the date
>> they are issues. Coupons are not being issued yet, I believe they
>> are waiting until more converter boxes are available. Nonetheless,
>> they should be issued sometime in February and converter boxes
>> should be in stores shortly thereafter. At least one of the
>> companies is willing to take a hit and sell the converter box for
>> approximately $40 (so it won't cost consumers anything). I'm sorry,
>> but I cannot find the story off hand that talked about it. I also
>> think the company is banking on selling its higher end model
>> converter boxes which do not qualify for the $40 rebate. And again,
>> their $40 model does qualify.
>>

> If any actually turn up for $40, I plan on buying one with my coupon.
> That way I can find out if I can actually get an OTA HD signal before
> I potentially waste $170 on an HD Home Run.

I'm interested to see how this goes.  Last time I looked at the
governments website, they didn't have any eligible boxes listed.  Now
they do have boxes listed (http://www.ntiadtv.gov/cecb_list.cfm), but
still no retailers to be found (at least near me).  If they sell for
near the $50 the government claims they should, one could get one free
or cheap (the actual price remains to be seen however).  I would get one
or two.  I currently have a pvr-500 and standard analog cable, but
wouldn't mind adding OTA to the mix even if its analog.  (Think free or
cheap alternative to the hdhomerun or pcHDTV if your like me and don't
yet have a HD TV).  What I really want to see is what the hardware is.
I assume that this thing basically need the hardware of a digital tuner
and then a converter to composite/S-vid/coax.  I would love to see a
hardware hack to make one usable as a digital tuner  (bypassing the
conversion to composite/S-vid/coax).  Yes I'm cheap, but I can't
convince myself to spend the money for a hdhomerun (or similar) to get a
digital version (plus the additional sub-channels) of channels I
currently get with my pvr-500.

kawayanan