[mythtv-users] Auto repairing seektables

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 24 02:31:49 UTC 2008

On 01/23/2008 02:33 PM, Ismo Tanskanen wrote:
> I see quite often seektable errors in recordings. About one of ten
> recordings cannot be fast forvarded etc unless I run "mythcommflag
> --rebuild --file xxx.mpg".
>
> I'm thinking doing this automatically as cron job.

Better would be to fix the issue that's causing corruption.  If it's not
a corrupt DB table, it's almost definitely an I/O wait issue.  Is the
MySQL DB on a different filesystem (and, ideally, a different drive)
from your recordings drive?  Is the root filesystem on a different
filesystem/disk?

Note, also, that you may have much better luck with 0.21 when released.

> Is there any disadvantages if I make a script what will:
>
> - Drop mysql recorded-table
> - Run mythcommflag --rebuild to all files

Note that you would have to run mythcommflag --rebuild --file (or using
another approach to specify one show) on each and every file.  Using
--all with --rebuild is not supported.

> Is recordedseek used for any other purposes? For example, will I loose
> commflagging points or something?

No.

>  Is it safe to drop this table and then
> do rebuild?

Semi-safe, but a waste (especially in a cron job).  If you have 300
shows and each takes 5 minutes to rebuild...  Rebuilding a perfectly
good seektable doesn't help.

Also, you're much better /never/ dropping tables.  If you need to clean
one out, use "TRUNCATE TABLE recordedseek;" to keep the structure,
indices, ... and just get rid of the data.

Mike