[mythtv-users] The end of analog - Digital Converter Vaporware?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Thu Jan 24 09:14:57 UTC 2008

Glenn Harris wrote:

*snip*

> You won't be able to output in HD using one of the 'freebee'
> converters, but it should let you know if you can at least get a good
> digital signal.

Actually, I thought of this and was going to pass on trying to get one
myself, but then I realized that it doesn't matter.

Typically, anyone who 'needs' one of these boxes doesn't have a 'HD
Ready' wide screen set anyway.  This is for those who have a 4:3 set and
will be left in the proverbial dark when the switch happens.

Not that this is a Bad Thing(tm) in many cases.  After all, it is
nicknamed the idiot box...

Just about any wide screen set available today has the ATSC tuners built
in, making these converter boxes irreverent.

As long as it will be able to send the signal via component, which some
apparently will from what little I can find on the specifications of the
current approved list, I'm good.

> Echostar and LG (I think) are going to make boxes available for just
> under $40.  You can apparently use the coupon on antennas and other
> such items as well.

Not according to the dtv2009 web page.  Per FAQ #3, the coupons are
going to be 'electronically coded' to work only for the approved
converter boxes.

To bring this on topic for the list ;-), my Myth setup is full OTA
digital with no analog tuners (good thing too, the fan on the AverMedia
card is all gummed up and won't spin), and I refuse to pay one single
penny to the local television mafia (AKA comcast) for their overpriced
so-called service that seems to creep up in price every other month.

However, I still want a stand alone tuner box for cases where the
machine is down or having 'issues' (SWMBO's requirement).