[mythtv-users] Auto shutdown of frontend

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 03:53:50 UTC 2008

I have two myth frontends and I would like to put in a
cron job that shuts these down at 9:00 AM on Monday
through Friday.  The idea being, both I and my wife
will have left for work, and I don't want the machines
on all day with nobody watching them.  Scheduling such
a cron job would be easy.

However, before shutting down, I want to make sure
that nobody is actually watching TV.  In the unusual
case (e.g. sick day) that someone is watching TV, I
don't want the system to shut down then.  I have
looked at the "mythshutdown" script but that seems
geared toward back ends.

So my question - is there some built-in way to detect,
from the command line, if mythfrontend is actually
doing something?  (If not, is there an "easy" test
that could be run that would get the same information?
 Right now I have "strace" looking for reads and
writes in the mythfrontend process, but there has to
be some better way than that?)