[mythtv-users] A clustered PVR just rocks...

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Jan 25 06:06:05 UTC 2008

    > Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:59:20 -0500
    > From: Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>

    > On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:22 PM, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

    > >> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:09:40 -0500
    > >> From: Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org>
    > >
    > >> I didn't say this was the butterfly that caused a hurricane, I just
    > >> said that it was unsupported.  IE, it's not a known working config.
    > >> In fact there are known bugs that, to date, none of the developers
    > >> have shown any interest in fixing because there isn't much of a
    > >> reason to run a backend without any tuners.
    > >
    > > It might be interesting for those who know about the bugs to put
    > > together a page on the wiki detailing what those bugs are.  This
    > > would accomplish two goals:
    > > (a) It would be a single place to refer people when pointing out that
    > >    their tunerless backend is an unsupported configuration, so they
    > >    know why it's unsupported.
    > > (b) It would be a good place for those who might be interested in
    > >    fixing those bugs to begin.

    > I agree. If there were only some way to TRAC the bugs that are found
    > in mythtv. That would make things much better. Something that is http
    > accessible and open to the public.
    > Something like http://svn.mythtv.org/trac would be excellent.

It's not clear to me whether you're being sarcastic, or whether you're
trolling, so I'll play the sucker and take you at face value.  The
reason I suggested a wiki page is because Myth uses Trac in a highly
unusual way:  rather than tracking user-submitted bugs that don't have
immediate fixes (as pretty much every bug-tracking system I've ever
seen gets used), Myth intends Trac to be used solely to keep track of
-fixes- for bugs---bug reports that are submitted without patches are
simply closed.  [Myth doesn't appear to use Trac as a BUG-tracking
system so much as a PATCH-tracking system, and saying so in huge
blinking neon letters in lots of places might be helpful, but that's
a different discussion.  And before anyone nitpicks, yes, I know that
bugs which come with backtraces, e.g., ones that cause an actual crash,
are an exception, as are occasional other narrowly-defined issues, but
in general, Trac is being used as a patch-tracker.]

Yes, this is highly idiosyncratic behavior and yes, it seems to
confuse just about -every- new participant---witness the large number
of people submitting bugs to Trac (and attempting to have conversations
there) only to be yelled at and to have them closed out from under
them---but it's clearly not going to change.  It's -especially- not
going to change for this particular subject, when you consider that
it's the core developers who (a) know best which bugs are relevant to
tunerless backends and (b) think least that these bugs are actually
important enough to fix, and hence (c) are unlikely to want to put 'em
into Trac w/o fixes.

Hence, we're left with wiki pages, and hoping that those might get
enough traction (in the "what's going to be a problem here?"
direction, and the "is anyone going to get motivated to suggest
a patch to a mentioned bug?" direction).

If nobody cares enough in either direction to create or edit the page,
well, so much for the suggestion.