[mythtv-users] Where the bottleneck?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 05:37:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 9:29 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Jan 23, 2008 8:39 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
> > On 01/23/2008 02:17 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:

> > 5400rpm.

> > the

> >  (I
> > > Well i can say for sure that when i load mythfrontend using blootube
> > wide it
> > > takes a good 250mb of RAM.
> > >

> > Yeah.  blootube-wide is one of the more memory hungry themes.  You can't
> > get that kind of beauty for free.  ;)
> >
> > > I have a Gig of ram but a 128mb is allocated to my video card.  so i
> > have
> > > about 870mb for system memory.
> > >

> > A gig of RAM should be more than enough.  The video card's using shared
> > memory is probably more of an issue than available RAM--primarily
> > because you're doing HDTV.  Have access to an NVIDIA 5200+ and an
> > appropriate slot?
> >
> > > I will rebuild my box on my 8gig drive and see if that helps.  if that
> > > doesn't fix it should i go more memory (1 or 2 gig) or video card?
> >
> > That's definitely the best place to start.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Well after rebuilding the system on the 10 gig drive i still have the same
> issues.  when playing HD and commflaging and any disk access occurs i get
> pauses in video.  so when a recording ends that disk access studders the
> video.
>
> Would moving to 32 bit help at all?

I doubt it.  I always hate pointing out the obvious, but have you checked
the hdparam -d (I think) to see if DMA is enabled on all your drives?  I got
bit by this not to long ago adding a new 500GB drive to a very working
system and found that it didn't have that enabled and caused this exact
problem.

Kevin