[mythtv-users] Where the bottleneck?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 07:18:43 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 11:56 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I doubt it.  I always hate pointing out the obvious, but have you
> > checked the hdparam -d (I think) to see if DMA is enabled on all your
> > drives?  I got bit by this not to long ago adding a new 500GB drive to a
> > very working system and found that it didn't have that enabled and caused
> > this exact problem.
> >
> > Kevin

> Yes i have,  it doesnt appear that i can set DMA on. My new system drive
> is IDE but the recording drivers are SATA.

[snip]

Your IDE is being addressed as a SCSI device (hence the *s*da designator).
The hdparm utility won't work on SCSI style devices.  I know there is an
sdparm but I'm not sure if it is needed here.   Have you tried some hdparm
performance tests (which I think work) to see what the stats are on the
drives to see if they are reasonable?

Kevin