[mythtv-users] Auto shutdown of frontend

John reidjr at btconnect.com
Sat Jan 26 14:37:51 UTC 2008

Craig Huff wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 9:53 PM, Taco Mel <taco_mel at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have two myth frontends and I would like to put in a
>> cron job that shuts these down at 9:00 AM on Monday
>> through Friday.  The idea being, both I and my wife
>> will have left for work, and I don't want the machines
>> on all day with nobody watching them.  Scheduling such
>> a cron job would be easy.
>>

> And your reason for not using Mythwelcome/Mythshutdown is...?
>
> Note that you don't have to run Mythwelcome all the time, either.  You
> only need to use it to set up / update the Mythshutdown settings.  It
> will shutdown automatically even if Mythwelcome isn't running.  I
> know.  I forgot.  Once. ;-)
>
> Craig.

 I am in the same boat, I have my backend setup to auto power down and
wake to record, but my kids turn on the (seperate) frontend, then turn
off the TV and go to school. :-(.  As the frontend is up and running all
day means that the backend still has a client and doesnt turn off.

I thought mythshutdown and mythwelcome were aimed at backend machines,
not front-ends ?
Is there an equivelent of mythshutdown for a frontend only box ? Or am I
misisng the point and mythshutdown works on frontends anyway :-)

john