[mythtv-users] Anyone in NY/NJ able to get WNJB-DT 58-1 OTA?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 16:52:52 UTC 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 12:08 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I originally posted here:

> ...something appears to have changed with WNJB-DT (PBS out of New
> Brunswick, NJ).  That's 58-1 (and 58-2 and 58-3 as well).  I used to
> get it just fine.  Now it appears to get a lock, but doesn't ever
> recognize the MPEG stream.  On the frontend I get (LA_VG) as apposed
> to the (LAMVG).  The issue appears to be specific to mythtv.  i can
> tune it with mplayer as well as with an old Samsung receiver I have.
>
> It appears that the information used to tune the station in the
> database is correct.  I created a channels.conf file using dvbscan,
> and this is what I get for it:
>
> WNJB-DT:183028615:8VSB:49:52:3
> NJN-3:183028615:8VSB:81:84:5
> NJN-4:183028615:8VSB:97:100:6
>
> Using that file I can tune it in with mplayer no problem.  The second
> field there is the frequency and the last ones (the 3, 5, and 7) are
> the program ids.  Mythtv uses the serviceid from the channels table,
> and the frequency on the dtv_multiplex table (as referenced by the
> mplexid on the channels table).  All that matches up just fine with
> the above channels.conf file.
>
> I'm beginning to think that something about their mpeg stream is just
> tripping up myth, as everything else seems fine.
>
> I'm hoping there's an OTA DTV user of mythtv in the NJ/NY area that
> can tell me whether or not they're seeing the same behavior.  Thanks!
>
> Tom

Just an update for anyone interested...

Janne on the dev list helped me with this.  Based on the the "-v
channel,record,siparser" backend logs and the output of dvbsnoop, it
was apparent that the station wasn't broadcasting the PMT (Program Map
Table) in their MPEG transport stream:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/311737

I emailed WNJN about it and they corrected it.

Tom