[mythtv-users] Where the bottleneck?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 16:53:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Brent Norris <brent at brentnorris.net> wrote:
>  Memory.  Make sure you have enough of it.  I was running my m2npv-vm
>  with 512meg for a while and if I was doing HD and a commflag kicked off
>  it went to crap.
>
>  Plugged another 512meg stick in and have never seen a problem since.
>  Memory is cheap right now.  Go ahead and pick some up for it.  The
>  difference is worth it.
>
>  Brent

I agree.  I'm running this same board with 1GB of ram.  While
dedicated video is better, this board should definitely be adequate.
I got pauses now and then that seemed to have gone away now that I've
put mysql on a separate machine (I didn't have a spare drive to
install).  You've already taken care of the disk issue so I would
suggest adding some ram in case as well.  I'm running the blootubelite
theme (the lighter version) because blootube-wide just took up too
much resources for me.  I'll be upgrading to 2GB ram eventually.

One other thing to look at, besides ram and video, is tuning MySQL.  I
was getting very frequent pauses, and tuning the mysql params (search
this list) to increase caches , buffers, etc. made a major difference.
 I still got infrequent pauses, and finally gave in to putting sql on
a separate spindle.  But if you're getting it a lot this could be one
potential problem.