[mythtv-users] Converts as you record for wireless transmission

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 20:53:30 UTC 2008

> Gary Dawes wrote:
>

> > Take a look at tablet-encode and mediaserv -
> > http://mediautils.garage.maemo.org/tablet-encode.html. It will allow for
> > on-demand transcoding and streaming from a web page. I use it to stream
> > recordings to my Nokia N800 over wireless. It uses Mencoder as the
> > backend encoder, and the bitrates etc are easily customisable.
>
> Is it capable of transcoding and streaming in real time a live program?
> That's what I think the OP was looking for.
>
> Of course you could just reduce your bitrate and resolution to the point
> where a slow network could handle it, but I was assuming that the OP
> wanted a high-quality recording, but just wanted to watch it in reduced
> quality, I may have been wrong on that.
>
> If you have an existing recording then a lot of options are open.
>
> beww

Dan was after "stream while you record for wireless transmission", and did
state that he was already sharing the recordings folder., which I assume is
either in-progress or completed recordings. Mediaserv will let you stream a
in-progress recording. I forgot to also say that I use mythtvplayer on a
Windows laptop connected via wireless and that works fine on recordings, and
native live tv.

I suppose the real question is what does Dan want to use as a client device.

Gary