[mythtv-users] Several lirc devices

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Sun Jan 27 16:04:39 UTC 2008

Fredrik Hallgarde schreef op 27-1-2008 16:34:
> Joacim J skrev:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Microsoft MCE remote which I like and it's working fine with
>> MythTV (running in production mode).
>>
>> However when I reboot the frontend (backend on a server) I often
>> (always?!) gets a non working remote and checking the irw I can not
>> get any response. Seraching for lirc devices I get two devices:
>>
>> ~$ ls -al /dev/lirc*
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 2008-01-25 19:18 /dev/lirc0
>> crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 1 2008-01-25 19:18 /dev/lirc1
>> srw-rw-rw- 1 root root     0 2008-01-25 19:25 /dev/lircd
>>
>> Then if I modify the "/etc/lirc/hardware.conf" to point to the other
>> device (the one that was not used)
>> E.g. switching from:
>> DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
>> DEVICE="/dev/lirc1"
>>
>> and restart the daemon it works again...
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu Gutsy (32-bit).
>>
>> Why do I get two devices?
>> Will the line "MODULES="lirc_mceusb2"" in "/etc/lirc/hardware.conf"
>> cause dual lirc devices?
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Joacim
> Do you have any other LIRC hardware in your box? I am thinking of
> Hauppauge cards, integrated LCDs with a remote receiver, maybe another
> receiver (i.e. Mac mini). All of these could cause you to have a second
> entry.
> Did you install a cvs version of lirc without removing/disabling the
> existing?
>
> just a few thoughts...
>
> Fredrik

Might be, I need to load the module via an option in modprobe.conf, if
you use a serial device you'll have something like:
Options lirc_serial.........

You could be loading the wrong module first or last which changes the
/dev/lirc1 to be 0 or other way around. If you don't use the mceusb
receiver you can unlaod that module.

Regards,

Jos Hoekstra