[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Jan 27 21:27:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 22:20 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> Fair point, but because this is a driver that's already in the kernel
> creating a kmdl would be, in effect, forking the code.  If upstream
> changes the code, then the fork is quite real.  I'm thinking that the
> "right thing to do" would be to report it to CentOS or Red Hat... that
> would get more traction than trying to get it into the kernel myself.
> Or maybe I should report it to the driver maintainer...

Okay - I just added to bugid 429652 in Red Hat's bugzilla, including
submitting a patch (my first kernel patch - I'm so proud...)

I've also emailed the maintainer for how to get it included upstream...

> <Ian switches to another window to look that up...>
>
> Or maybe Ian should have read the kernel docs and read the part in
> Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt that mentions specifying the product
> and vendor ids on the insmod line (or in modprobe.conf)...
>
> I feel like such a moron... ;)

I no longer feel like a moron. ;)  I tried the generic driver - doesn't
work for me.  So it's back to plan A: get it fixed upstream...

> Good news is that I need to update kernel on that box this weekend -
> it'll give me a chance to fix it propery... I like the idea of
> specifying the prod id - no need (in this case) to play chase-the-vendor
> on the kernel-maintainer's part... ;)

Unfortunately, in this case it'll be needed... I'm hoping that this
patch will make it into the next kernel rev at some point.  Until then,
I think I'll be rebuilding kernels... Now correct me if I'm wrong, but
since this module is already in the mainline kernel, in order to get a
kmdl with my issue addressed, wouldn't the proper mechanism be:

1. Get it in the mainline kernel via a patch
2. Submit the diff to you for a kmdl

Or:

Try to get it in the CentOS Plus kernel

Or:

Try to get it in the Red Hat kernel

Or:

The shotgun approach, submitting it to mainline, RH, CentOS Plus, and
you, and seeing who responds first? ;)

Okay - that last one was a joke... but I'm not convinced that a kmdl is
the way to go on this one, unlike in the case of something like XFS,
which Red Hat will *not* ship in RHEL...

	-I