[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Jan 28 00:03:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 01:20 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> If there is no real business value on the enterprise level this patch
> will only make it into RHEL via upstream, and since RHEL5 will stay at
> 2.6.18 & enterprise patches, the fix could have to wait until RHEL6.

Agreed, though there's a difference here.  RHEL quite often puts things
in that aren't in upstream, or backports things from upstream.  I got
lucky in that I found an open ticket patching the same files, which
means that if theirs gets in, there's at least some small hope that mine
will... (though their patch has been submitted for upstream - mine
hasn't).  But since this is a mod that patches against the current RHEL
kernel, doesn't affect functionality, and isn't terribly intrusive, it
would potentially be suitable to go in either in an errata kernel, or
potentially 5.2, one would hope...

> I think the best chances of a fast adoption are with CentOS plus
> submission. kmdls would work, too, but not as fast as patching the
> CentOS kernel.

Agreed.  I'll wait a few days to see if there's any feedback from RH
bugzilla, then if that doesn't gain any traction, I'll see about going
the CentOS plus route...

	-I