[mythtv-users] Recording/live-tv video quality (aka do PVR150 encoders suck?)

Sam Logen starz909 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 04:13:29 UTC 2008

--- Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2008, at 7:24 PM, Scott Traurig wrote:
>
> > I finally took the plunge into some equipment that
> has allowed me to
> > really see what is going on with respect to mythtv
> video quality and
> > this has begged a few questions.
> >
> > Previously I had a nice but old Sony tube and used
> composite NTSC
> > video output of the Nvidia 6xxx motherboard. It
> was tough to tell
> > what was going on, of course. Now I have this
> beautiful Philips LCD
> > 1080p panel that I got on sale at Costco and a DVI
> connection.Ubuntu
> > is set to run the standard 1080p resolution
> through the Nvidia GPU.
> > Results are as follows:
> >
> > PC stuff looks fabulous.
> > Commercial DVD playback looks fabulous whether
> itís 4:3, 16:9 or
> > widescreen and whether itís coming off the DVD or
> from an ISO file.
> > Live and recorded TV using NTSC composite from my
> set top box into
> > the PVR150 capture card looks terrible compared to
> the same signal
> > out of the STB right into the Philips panel. Iíve
> got all profiles
> > set to run 6Mbps/9Mbps (DVD quality) and going
> higher doesnít help
> > any.
> > Live and recorded TV using the PVR150 tuner looks
> worse still.
> >
> > I can understand #4 but not necessarily #3.
> Clearly the decoders and
> > the Nvidia hardware do a fabulous job based on the
> DVD output.
> > However it appears that the PVR150 encoders pretty
> much suck. Is
> > this essentially the deal? Is there a better
> solution for tuning/
> > encoding?
>
> Try using s-video on the PVR if you can.

channels, including your basic channels.  These would
doubtlessly look much better than analog channels you
can get from a tuner on a capture card.

As for connecting your STB to the pvr150, I briefly
tried something like that, and I got pretty poor
results.  I'm thinking you have to match resolution
and bitrates in the recording profile with the
bitrates and resolution that the STB outputs.

Sam