[mythtv-users] Recording/live-tv video quality (aka do PVR150 encoders suck?)

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 12:16:55 UTC 2008

On 28/01/2008, Henrik Beckman <henrik.list at gmail.com> wrote:

> My STB is digital, but my pvr-150 recordings are quite ok, not near the
> high bandwith DVB-T recordings, but good enough to view, a bit soft but no
> compression artifacts. What bitrate and resolution do you set your PVR cards
> at?
> My experience is that many cable channels have less bandwith than the
> DVB-T channels, also quality depends greatly on the source of the material.
>
> /Henrik
>

> On Jan 28, 2008 12:54 PM, Robin Neatherway <robthebob at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > At this point it seems that most myth users must be insensitive to
> > quality
> > > and I am in a minority here.
> >

> > You must know that this is *very* unlikely.

OP,

Although to answer the OPs original question (Do PVR-150's suck?). The
answer is a reserved "yes":

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review_printerfriendly2351.html

Which compares an old card the ATI TV Wonder Elite with hardware Mpeg2
encoder with a Hauppage PVR card.
Unfortunately the TV Wonder is WINDOWS ONLY no linux....and you'd need ebay
to find the ATI card in the first place.
As far as I can see Hauppauge seem to have the hardware MPEG card market to
themselves at the moment, at least in the Linux world.

Cheers

Steve