[mythtv-users] upnpmedia polling

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:44:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 11:15 AM, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:

> > have the scan off.  Once the backend receives a UPNP request, then the
> timer
> > starts firing (the first time it runs ASAP, then back to its regular
> schedule).
>
>  My biggest worry about that was just how long the scan will take on
> some peoples content. At the moment it's about 2 seconds on my box
> scanning 2800 files in a ton of directories over NFS, but I'm worried
> that on some it will take longer and the upnpclient might timeout
> waiting for the response causing the user to manually have to
> connect/grab the list again a second time.
>
>  I'd be interested in getting a better idea of just how long this
> is taking on others systems.
>
> Making a configurable timer (and a flat out on/off) switch would
> be simple and let users keep it to a minimum if they want.
> In fact there are several upnp variables we could expose but I can
> see most of them just causing a support nightmare as
> users "tweak" everything :)

Does it have to rescan every file & folder every time? Is there a way to put
logic in where it wouldn't scan files that already existed on last scan
(like the logic of an rsync)? That way the only long scan is the first one?

I'm running SVN and have roughly: 30GB music, ~20GB video and 300GB DVD ISOs
mounted over SMB on my Myth box, would this be enough data to do some
testing?