[mythtv-users] Gnome-screensaver and lirc

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:53:27 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 3:59 AM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have recently moved to CentOS from Fedora. One of the "features" of
> this change has been that I can't install xscreensaver, only
> gnome-screensaver. Somehow, even when I link directly to the
> xscreensaver rpm URL yum still decides it will install
> gnome-screensaver instead.
>
> Gnome-screensaver kicks in just fine, but it doesn't turn off when a
> button on the serial lirc remote is pressed. I've seen some posts
> about this on some of the lists and about it being in SVN, but I
> assumed it had made it into 0.20.2.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem - either how to install
> xscreensaver on CentOS or how to make the remote deactivate
> gnome-screensaver?
>
> Regards,
> Phill

I'm an ex-Fedora user who converted to Ubuntu a while back. I can't help you
with the install of xscreensaver. But I can tell you that I was never
successful in getting gnome-screensaver to work.

You need to deactivate gnome-screensaver (I used the GUI tool) before
activating xscreensaver.  Also, while in the gnome-screensaver GUI, click on
the tab and deactivate the display power down options as well.

Tom