[mythtv-users] Moving storage groups

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:51:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 2:45 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am running Myth SVN (atrpms-bleeding packages).  I want to change the
> directory of my storage groups.  What do i need to do?  Obviously change the
> mount point in fstab but in myth and i just change the location of the
> storage group and viola or do i need to alter something else in the DB.
>
> Just thought i would ask before making changes.  Dont want to loose all my
> recordings.
>
> Thanks,
> mitchell

The general process for me, and I don't quite know if this is the
recommended process, is:

1) Turn off backends
2) Make a backup of the DB (I don't think it's necessary, but it's
pretty much generally a good first step)
3) Change your mounting options operating system wise
4) run mythsetup and change the storage groups
5) Restart mythbackend

My understanding is that this is a hair slower, technically, than
adjusting the DB to explicitly tell it you moved the files, but
completely "safe" since the backend will check all your storage groups
looking for the file if it doesn't find it where it expects to.  I
didn't do anything more special than this when I adjusted all my
storage to a master NFS server.

Ry