[mythtv-users] AMD 64 3200+ vs P4 3.0 GHz.

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Jan 29 19:57:48 UTC 2008

> I'd go with the one with the most PCI slots.  AGP works just fine for
> video
> in my experience.

Let's not forget SATA channels.

A cheap board with lots of IDE/SATA channels can come in
very handy for easily upgrading your storage capacity.
I've maxed out my backend with 6 ide/sata devices. The
board would accomodate more but there's no more room in
the case.

It was an ATI based board so it kind of sucked when used
for a frontend. It's great for a backend though.

> On Jan 29, 2008 12:27 PM, Colin McGregor <spamtrap151 at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting situation, currently my main MythTV box is an AMD 64 3200+
>> on
>> an
>> Asus A8S-X motherboard with an PCI-E nVidia 6200 video card. For the
>> most
>> part part I am happy with that as a combination.  The one (small) issue
>> have is that I am now out of PCI slots having filled them with the
>> following:
>>
>> - Hauppage PVR-150
>> - Hauppage PVR-350
>> - pcHDTV 5500
>>
>> I have the option of replacing that with a P4 3.0 GHz on an Asus
>> P4C800-E
>> motherboard and a AGP 8x nVidia 6200 video card. Things like the tuners
>> would
>> be moved from one motherboard to the other (and would allow me to drop
>> in
>> an
>> Adaptec VideoOh! tuner card in addition to the above). Benchmarks seem
>> suggest that the P4 3.0 GHz will typically out perform the AMD by a
>> modest
>> margin (due to higher clock speed). On the other hard, how much of a hit
>> will
>> video performance take going from PCI-E to AGP (my understanding is not
>> much). So, question is, am I better off changing things around?
>>
>> The "loosing" motherboard will end up in my "testing" computer (for
>> running
>> different versions of Linux).
[deletia]