[mythtv-users] CPU Frequency Scaling (was: Re: AMD 64 3200+ vs P4 3.0 GHz.)

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Jan 29 20:14:22 UTC 2008

On 01/29/2008 02:49 PM, jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

> I dunno. I've never had much luck with frequency scaling.
> My guess is that this is the sort of idea (much like
> micropartitioning & virtualization) that doesn't play well
> with constant intensive usage.

I have never had good luck with Intel frequency scaling, so I never even
considered it with AMD until last year.  I am glad I gave it a try.  I
haven't had a single problem with AMD cool-n-quiet (on AMD X2 64) and I
use it on about 8 servers plus my mythbackend and mythfrontend
machines.  One time I did get a scare though.  I happened to look at an
idle machine that I had the top off and the cpu fan wasn't running.  My
first instinct was to immediately hit the power switch, but I held off
and looked at the CPU temp.  Don't remember what it was exactly now, but
it was low enough that the fan didn't need to run.  Soon as I started
using the computer, fan started spinning up again.

> My core duo frontend makes less noise and runs cooler when freq
> scaling is turned off completely.

I haven't given Intel another chance at frequency scaling yet, but would
hope any issues would be worked out by now with the Core 2 Duo.

--
David