[mythtv-users] Recording/live-tv video quality (aka do PVR150 encoders suck?)

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 20:51:34 UTC 2008

> From: Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca>
>
> Scott,
>
> I think you should make a short sample of a recording available to see
> what others think, since many of us use PVRxxx cards with no discernible
> loss of quality.

I'll do this, thanks for the good suggestion. Do you have a suggestion as to
what might be the best source material? I tend to like things with talking
heads and static graphics like CNN to do comparisons as the scenes are
relatively unchanging.

> This leads me to suspect something is off in your
> set-up.  Have you tried using the PVR card's tuner just as a comparison
> point?  I know you are doing an apples to apples comparison, but it
> might just be that composite input is a weak point with those cards
> and you might find an alternative method that is better. I have used
> cable input and S-video input on a PVR-350, and both are excellent.

The tuner results in worse results. Sadly, to get S-Video I have to order HD
service from Comcast as their straight digital boxes available around here
do not have it. Of course if I do that then all my questions will be about
Firewire :-)

> Don't just chalk it up to people not caring about the quality.  Many
> of us do, and it is fine.

To a certain extent my expectations are somewhat skewed by my experiences
with what I was using prior to getting a Myth setup. My Pioneer DVR-520H-S
used the exact same input, cable and all, from my STB and produced much
better results. This is another reason why I don't think there is anything
wrong with the composite output (relatively speaking, of course) of the STB.

> Also, I think you should discuss this on the ivtv list, where the real
> experts hang-out.
>
> Dan

I just signed up and will lurk for a bit just to see what goes on on that
list.

Thanks,

Scott