[mythtv-users] Scale down HDTV to 420p easier or harder on system?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Jan 30 18:01:43 UTC 2008

>I'm looking at getting a HDHomeRun box to get local ATSC channels in
>better quality, however, my TV is currently setup as a 720x420p
>monitor over DVI. Is it going to be harder on my system to down
>scale the video and play at 420p or just straight out decode and
>play at 1080i?

My experience is the scaling to the display size is nothing compared
to the actual mepg2 decode. I see no difference in cpu usage when
displaying 1080i mpeg2 HD content on 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i
display sizes. This is also 1080i content from a HDHomeRun using
local of-the-air ATSC channels.

Get your xvmc working first (if glxgears does not work, nothing else
will ether), then turn to getting your mythfrontend configured.