[mythtv-users] HD thin client?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed Jan 30 18:12:31 UTC 2008

>On the xvmc front, I tried to use it repeatedly over the years and
>was never satisfied.  While it mostly worked, I was always
>frustrated with the tradeoffs.  With the low cost for adequate
>CPU/GPU/memory, xvmc just does not make sense to me.
>
>With that said, I've repeatedly looked at the AppleTV box.  It's an
>attractive value for a quiet and really small device.  But I'm
>waiting until there's enough horsepower to play HD in all scenarios.

I agree, the AppleTV has all the correct hardware bit to handle 1080i
HD mpeg2 hardware decode, getting there in a 100% reliable solution
is another story. It's so close, the AppleTV is my bone and since I
seem to be the primary linux developer for it, I'm determined to
resolve the issues.

However, if I were just looking for a small, silent front end, I
would just buy another 2GHz MacMini and be done with it. Small silent
yet very fast with the 2GHz Core2 Duo and it has no problem with
software decode of 1080i mpeg2 content.

It has everything you need for a mythfrontend, video, audio and IR.
Plus you can choose to run OSX and FrontRow (with the new MythTV
launcher which is great) or run linux and the standard mythfrontend
bits. Or with the work being done regarding Myth on windows, install
WinXP and run a mythfront end that way.