[mythtv-users] MythTv can't tune some channels with HDHomeRun

Nathan Rutman nrutman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:55:47 UTC 2008

> >  Sigh.  Before writing me off, why not read the actual question?
> >  Nothing is missing from my MythTV channel scan.  It's a problem of
> >  not getting a lock, not of missing channels.  I've waded backward and
> >  forward through the myth channel database and have no problem setting
> >  the right channels using scan or manually.  It just won't tune/lock
> >  them.
>
> Sigh.  Before writing off a good suggestion (to check the archives), why
> not tailor the search for your issue (i.e. "HDHomeRun lock" or whatever).
>
> <pet peave>
> Note:  It's not Tom's responsibility to read your post.    He was just
> trying to help, after all.  What possible benefit could there be to
> treating someone who is trying to help you as lazy/illiterate/whatever?
> If you want to fix your issue, it's your responsibility to read the
> suggestions you get and determine what information is relevant and use
> that information appropriately.  It is also not the responsibility of
> this list to hand you the answer on a silver platter.
> </pet peave>

Actually, it completely is his responsibility to read my post if he's
going to answer with "it's in the archives", which effectively would
cut off further discussion of the subject. The fact of the matter
is that I searched high and low for about a week before I posted, so
his (and your) assumption that I haven't just pissed me off.

You're absolutely right, Tom was just trying to help, and I apologize to
him and all for not being as polite as I should have.

Anyhow, on to more useful  discussion:

> From: "Michael Rice" <mikerice1969 at gmail.com>
>
> > So I'm trying to figure out:
>
> > c. is ss=60 (signal strength) awful?  Myth can lock on with with ss=67,
>
> Maybe it is awful.

I'm beginning to suspect this is the problem after all.  A suggestion in the
SiliconDust forum led me to the frontend Settings->TV->General->Minimum
Signal Strength, which by default is 65.  This sounded great, but lowering
it doesn't seem to have helped at all.  (Nor does changing the timeout there
seem to affect anything.)

If anyone can explain why Myth doesn't use the HDHomeRun's /tuner0/program
setting (or how to get it to), I would be much obliged.