[mythtv-users] certain shows seem to ignore previous recordings

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Thu Jan 31 23:48:49 UTC 2008

Lately I have noticed that some shows, mainly Family Guy and The
Office seem to re-record some episodes.  I've specifically noticed it
recording "Dunder-Mifflin Infinity" a few times, and noticed that it
appears on my upcoming list again for tonight.  Normally I would just
delete it and not worry about it (so it may be happening more than I
represent here), but I don't like that episode and myth seems to be
taunting me.

So I did a little digging:

oldrecorded shows two previous recordings:
mysql> select title, subtitle, starttime, description from oldrecorded
where title = 'The Office' and subtitle = 'Dunder-Mifflin Infinity';
+------------+-------------------------+---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| title      | subtitle                | starttime           |
description

+------------+-------------------------+---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The Office | Dunder-Mifflin Infinity | 2007-10-04 21:00:00 | Ryan
returns to Dunder-Mifflin's Scranton branch to bring the company into
the digital age; Angela remains unhappy about her cat. |
| The Office | Dunder-Mifflin Infinity | 2008-01-17 20:30:00 | Ryan
returns to Dunder-Mifflin's Scranton branch to bring the company into
the digital age; Angela remains unhappy about her cat. |
+------------+-------------------------+---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

record shows that it is set to record tonight:
mysql> select title, subtitle, starttime, description from record
where title = 'The Office' and subtitle = 'Dunder-Mifflin Infinity';
+------------+-------------------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| title      | subtitle                | starttime | description

+------------+-------------------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The Office | Dunder-Mifflin Infinity | 20:30:00  | Ryan returns to
Dunder-Mifflin's Scranton branch to bring the company into the digital
age; Angela remains unhappy about her cat. |
+------------+-------------------------+-----------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
1 row in set (0.02 sec)

I have it set to match subtitle and descriptions, and to check in all
recordings.

Family Guy shows a lot more, but I had that one set to a storage limit
and to delete old, and I am not sure how duplicates are handled there.

I am sure there is a simple explanation, probably centered around how
it is configured (though I have lots of recording schedules that seem
to behave appropriately).  Any suggestions or insights would be
welcome.

I am running ubuntu with the mythbuntu weekly trunk builds on a combined fe/be.

Thanks!
--Glenn