[mythtv-users] Help NEEDED !

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Jul 2 15:04:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 6:21 AM, C E <list.spiritssight at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:09 AM, James Bunton <jamesbunton at fastmail.fm>
wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 08:01:42AM +0200, Gino Heusdens wrote:
>>> I'm not using Mythbunu, never used or tried it.
>>> <snip>
>>> I think all the configuration can be done a lot faster if there is an
>>> optimal configuration by default.
>>
>> If I were you I'd try a MythTV specific distro like Mythbuntu. It has
>> sensible defaults, is easier to set up than Debian Etch and comes with
>> newer drivers and bundled firmware for many cards.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> James

> 40 hours to install Mythbuntu, I am new and it toke me less then 1
> hour to do this, the only thing that is taking me is the monitor
> besides that most every thing work out of the box, monitors / tv card
> is the only two thing that don't work *that I know of*.
>
> Sincerely,
> Christopher

The reason you don't know of the other things is that you are stuck on the
monitor issue.  I am only saying fully getting mythbuntu the way you want it
is a big task and don't expect it to happen quickly.

I have given you a ton of information on setting up your display including a
sample xorg.conf file.  If you have done all that, you probably have an
unusual problem.

I had an unusual problem and perhaps you have this one as well.  Perhaps
your sound card is not being recognized.  I had this problem when I had the
nvidia driver installed by mythbuntu.  If you want, you can try what I did:

1) open the nividia driver control program
2) check the box to not use the driver (our uncheck the box to use it, I
don't remember)
3) run envyng and install the nvidia driver
4) make sure your xorg.conf file is correct and using nvidia as the driver
with all the settings you want.  You can use the nvidia control to load
xorg.conf, just don't enable the program there.

Before I did this, my computer would boot in low resolution mode (like yours
is) 1/3 of the time.  Perhaps yours does it every time.  Since I have done
this, it works every time.

Figuring out stuff like this, which nobody helped me with, and I discovered
more or less by accident with trial and error, is what takes all the time.

In fact, I fixed the problem without even knowing what I had done as I did
several things at once.  Only when debugging another problem and spending an
hour getting my system working again did I fully realize what was required.
 When I did that, the driver was a newer version and that broke something
that had been working previously.  Get the idea?

Allen