[mythtv-users] Please help! My mythbackend started to crash sporadically

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jul 2 21:37:21 UTC 2008

    > Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:00:06 +0400
    > From: Andrew Junev <a-j at a-j.ru>

    > In this situation a script or a program that restarts the backend is
    > useful, but that's not a fix. I'm sure 0.21 was working fine for me
    > some time ago. I remember I had no crashes then. So there should be
    > something out there to fix these crashes...

Straw-grasping time---does your BE do transcoding or other heavy
lifting?  Have you made sure its CPU heatsink is firmly attached?
I know you tried running memtest; maybe take antistatic precautions
and wiggle your RAM and any other cards in the machine?  Perhaps a
contact has gotten slightly corroded.

(I'd ask, "Is the machine on a UPS?" but it seems unreasonable that
some weirdo voltage sag from the PSU could lead to a BE segfault but
not a machine crash.)