[mythtv-users] HDMI_SPDIF directly to reciever

James bjlockie at lockie.ca
Thu Jul 3 14:44:54 UTC 2008

I found this article on the wiki and I have a question.

>Most MythTV systems these days are built using a motherboard with integrated
>audio and video. However, the SPDIF signal is unfit to be wired directly to
>a SPDIF compatible digital audio receiver. The reason is that the signal
> is a TTL signal, while it should be a signal swinging between -0.5V and
>+0.5V. This requires that a simple circuit be built, using some resistors
>and a capacitor, but the signal can not be used to drive a long cable and
>thus additional components like a 74HCT04 are needed to amplify this signal
>to acceptable levels.

>This article describes how you can build a SPDIF TOSlink transmitter
>circuit, using just two components.

I have an ASrock ALiveNF5-eSATA2+
(http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=ALiveNF5-eSATA2%2b&s=AM2)
that says it it has an HDMI_SPDI header on the motherboard.
I wired it up directly to a female RCA jack and connected it to the
coaxial digital input on my receiver.

This article implies what I did shouldn't work but it does.

Do I have a weird motherboard and this probably won't work on other
motherboards?