[mythtv-users] Questions about Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212)

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jul 3 16:00:02 UTC 2008

John Welch wrote:
>> Thanks to those who suggested the split on the component out.  I'll
>> have to look around for the appropriate cables and splitters.
>>

>> I wouldn't use simple RCA splitters on video, it would be better to use
>> a distribution amp. Video is a bit like RF in that the cables need to be
>> impedance matched and terminated properly. TVs and other devices usually
>> have terminators inside.
>> If you use a passive cable splitter, then the output device sees two
>> terminators in parallel, which puts more load on it.
>>
>> It isn't going to hurt anything, you'll just get poorer quality video.
>>
>> - Richard
>>
>> I use one of these:
>> http://www.amazon.com/AV-400SV-Prograde-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B0009QZPO6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215095462&sr=1-2
>> Works OK.
>>
>> If  you are going to use a passive split, keep the leads as short as
>> possible.
>>

> Thanks for the suggestions on the amp.  The link provided says it is
> for S-Video or composite.  Do you just use the audio terminals for
> video, or are you not doing component video.  I did find a similar
> model specifically for component video, but it is almost $100.  Not
> sure I want to spend that much.  Actually, I'm not sure I would even
> want to spend the $60 or so for lower-end model either.  The first
> couple of posters who suggested the split seemed to be using Y-cables
> or some type of passive splitters and didn't mention any quality drop.
>  I was hoping I could get away with something like this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/3-RGB-Component-Video-Splitter/dp/B000RJJ0XW

It is hard to tell what is in this writeup but it sounds like it worked
for the reviewers.  I would give it a try if your cable runs are short.
If you are going across the room to a projector, you may have problems
but I guess you would have to try it to know.

I am sorry about the mess up on the S-video vs component.  I use mine
for S-Video, composite, and audio.  I have used it to drive both a
composite and audio signal to another room, around 100 feet away.  I
drive an S-Video signal to a projector about 30 feet away for the stuff
that doesn't have DVI outputs.

Allen