[mythtv-users] Questions about Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212)

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jul 3 21:04:18 UTC 2008

John Welch wrote:
>> u could always use a  longer USB cable and keep the HDPVR near the TV.
>>
>> Cheap usb cables/extenders can be found at monoprice.com
>>
>> Mitchell
>>

> Thanks.  I am considering running a long USB cable, with appropriate
> repeaters.  However, if the heat from the unit continues to be a
> factor I would much rather have it in my basement.  Also, isn't it
> just as likely that the long USB run will introduce problems as it is
> that the long component video will cause problems?  I mean, there's at
> least one poster in this thread that is saying he's running 40+ foot
> cables with just a splitter, and is not seeing any quality
> degradation.
You are not going to have a problem with the long USB cable with the
repeater.

Didn't the person who used the long runs after the cheap component
splitter say he was watching SD on a 640x480 projector?  At least I
think he said he said he was feeding 720p to the projector but that
exceeded the resolution of the projector.

If your setup is HD, you may want better.

Allen