[mythtv-users] `Mythbackend leaks memory` continued

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 4 12:33:31 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> Thanks.
>> That one was in the updates that I mentioned.
>> Just built with those.
>>
>> So the current run could crash just like the recent one.
>> Then I could upgrade and see the difference.
>
> Its not a fix (and no one even knows if you need a fix) but why not
> restart mythbackend every 24 hours or so?

A restart is a windo-ism.
Of course it is an effective workaround but not more than that.

> Also you have reached 40% mem without a crash, yet the QT crash
> occurred at about 20%, so it seems to me the two are likely unrelated.

I may have rebuilt the code in between. I most certainly did because of
my harddisk failure.
I did not imply any relation but just found it worth mentioning.

> Also multirec is relatively new. There may be bugs. No software is bug free.

Sure.
But I am just using the very core functionality of MythTV, right?
I am not even posting here about mythfrontend.
This is backend only.
So I guess if I indeed have found a bug (which is to be determined of
course) it is worth repairing.

Whoever wants to do similar stuff as I do (record multiple channels
using multirec continuously) on a more potent machien can contact me for
configuration specifics. There is nothing truly special here.
If you can reproduce the memory growth you can then use valgrind to find
the spot of the error.

Kind regards,
Udo