[mythtv-users] HDMI_SPDIF directly to reciever

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Jul 5 04:49:48 UTC 2008

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> Why do I get sound if there is a zero volt signal?
>> I tested my voltmeter on a battery to verify it works.
>>

> Not every mobo produces TTL levels on the S/PDIF header. Some produce -.5
> to +.5
>
> My ASUS S/PDIF module has no components between the RCA connetor and the
> mobo header, just wire and PCB traces.
> Since it produces the correct levels, it must be doing in on the mobo.
>
> To answer your question.  Assuming the output is swinging between -.5 and
> +.5 the average DC voltage is zero.  If your voltmeter is set for DC then
> it will read 0V.  Set it on AC and it will probably indicate something
> near 1V

My Voltmeter read something like 2 volts DC on my ASUS M3A MB.   I would
look again for something on that module. Perhaps they are very small
surface mount components.  Set to AC, it didn't register.  Frequency
probably too high for the voltmeter.

Anyway, that is how I knew that my MB was putting out TTL levels and the
circuit described worked great.

Allen