[mythtv-users] wii-esque myth front end possible?

JP Fournier jape41 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 19:48:49 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Like many others I'm interested in building a compact mythfrontend.
Since I want this frontend to be able to play AVCHD (1080i) files from
my camcorder, I will need a CPU in the range of an AMD X2 5500.  This
means  that mini-itx is out. Sticking with more mainstream hardware
(mATX) should make things simpler as well.

Currently I'm thinking about this MB:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=31192

It seems to have everything built in I would need. SPDIF, HDMI, DVI and
and an nvidia chipset (xvmc for OTA 1080i HD).

Questions:

- does anyone know of a compact mATX case that has NO space for internal
HD/DVD?  I'm thinking I'd like to boot off flash for quietness and size.
I have no need of any PCI cards since remote will be via usb bluetooth
dongle + wii-mote. Ideally the case would have room for just the MB and
power supply, unless it is actually possible to power something this
simple via an external power brick of some kind?

I'd prefer a vertical case over a horizontal one (for some reason I feel
like I'd get better cooling/airflow with a vertical case)

- in the same vein, I don't suppose anyone makes a via-like
bolt-onto-the-back-of-your-tv mATX case?:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/09/vias-vm7700-bolt-on-vesa-pc-the-modern-prometheus/

Any thoughts or pointers appreciated,

jp