[mythtv-users] mythmusic iec958 help

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Mon Jul 7 16:03:48 UTC 2008

Robin,

"With a recent kernel, you may not even need that - my Via Epia
all-in-one m/b [VIA 8237 chip] outputs to both analog and spdif at the
same time and resamples anything that is not at 48k to suit the spdif
output of the hardware. No config files in sight!! "

Cool!  This is the first report I've ever seen of a Via chipset doing
bit-perfect-audio (ie., 44.1KHz sampling).  Could you please tell us
what mobo you have and any further specs you might have on the VT8237
(all the suffix info at the end).  Is this a new mobo?  Perhaps Via is
finally getting something right.

Also, please elaborate on using the alsa "rate_converter."  This has
always had a bad reputation in the past; perhaps that has improved too.

Thanks for your info,

Joe Henley