[mythtv-users] Stability of debian-multimedia.org testing (Lenny) packages.

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Mon Jul 7 19:49:55 UTC 2008

Hi George,

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:16 PM,  <george.smith at arcor.de> wrote:
> Fred,
>
> I have a master backend on debian etch and a slave backend on debian lenny. To help you intepret my input, let me say that I'm very
> new to mythtv and also new to debian. My previous linux experience was with red hat in a work environment.
>
> I have found it extremely easy to set up mythtv on both etch and lenny. I originally used stable (etch) for my first backend because I was
> worried testing (lenny) might be too unstable. I think I didn't really understand the nature of the distinction between stable and testing
> and what that means for my situation. I don't have a production environment here that dozens of people depend on for their livelyhood. I
> have a very fun toy for myself and my kids. I decided on using testing (lenny) for my slave backend for two reasons. First, I can compile
> the newest v4l-dvb drivers on lenny, but I can't on etch. Two of my dvb-t devices need recent v4l-dvb drivers that at time of writing won't
> compile under etch. Second, there are some newer tools unrelated to myth that I wanted that are available on lenny, and I use the slave
> backend as a desktop machine for lots of different things. I haven't had any problems related to lenny being testing as opposed to stable.
> To the contrary, it has made one thing easier. Admittedly, I haven't been doing this long and just have my naive impressions to go on
> rather than real knowledge. But the fact that I've been able to quickly and (relatively) easily get mythtv running on both says something.
> If there ever comes a point where the mythtv packages for stable and testing become mutually incompatible, I imagine I'll probably settle
> on testing for both machines.

Thanks very much for this input and I am going to go with testing. I
have been running on Fedora Core 6 for about a year now, no problems
but I want to have something that stays current a bit longer and with
Lenny, as long as I keep updating, it should keep going for far longer
than a year (with regards to updates).

Thanks again!

Fred.