[mythtv-users] Desktop partly off-screen problem

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 22:07:03 UTC 2008

2008/7/7 Carl Fongheiser <carlfongheiser at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:42 AM, C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

> Is there some reason you're not using the EDID information? On my Vizio TV,
> you can use the EDID information, and it works great.  I'm using 1366x768,
> but to get that, you do need to disable the width alignment check (Option
> "ModeValidation" "NoWidthAlignmentCheck")  Anyway, try letting the NVidia
> driver query the EDID, and get rid of your mode lines.  You may be
> surprised.

The xorg as I sent it out was the culmination of a day's worth of
experimentation, three-quarters of which were spent cursing.  I don't
think I could reproduce the steps that took me there, but it involved
a lot of googling, tweaking, and rebooting.

The EDID was turned off at one point at the suggestion of a googlee
(the TV modes were deemed untrustworthy) - and I do seem to remember
it made a difference for the better at one particular step, so it
stayed.

I'm more than willing to give other things a try, though, so I edited
my xorg.conf to try and allow the TV to do its thing.  The results,
sadly, were not as surprising as I had hoped.

If I'm reading the Xorg log correctly (something else I'm learning to
do), the Xorg did not end up with any modes from the TV - and so
settled into a rez of 1024x768.

I've attached those in case anyone can see something I've missed.
These files are my attempt to let the TV do the talking - but I've
reverted back to what I had originally.

For giggled, I also tried using (but not defining) modes of 1280x768,
1360x768, and 1366x768 in the xorg.conf.  Same results.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine