[mythtv-users] Could help me to get widescreen on my system?

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:54:52 UTC 2008

2008/7/8 Damian <damian at gingermagic.co.uk>:
> Alen Edwards wrote:
>> Damian wrote:
>
> I think I did try that and it didn't work, but I'll try again. What log
> would be useful for me to post if it doesn't work? I know that just
> saying 'it doesn't work' is no use to anyone!

Your /var/log/Xorg.0.log is a good place to see what's happened.

> Also, I was thinking that there might be a more elegant way to get the
> resolution with the newer looking xorg file and latest nvidia drivers.
> The xorg file I had working before seemed like a real hatchet job and I
> was always a bit unsure of the modline I was using. It seemed to work,
> but I don't know where it came from and I don't know how suited it is to
> my projector (BenQ W100).

If I read your current file correctly, you're using 1360x768.  Was
this your intent, or did you want 1280x720?

To get a modeline for my new HDTV (it didn't publish them), I used the
"gtf" program.

ie.
$ gtf 1280 720 60

...where 60 is 60Hz

To determine which modeline is using - you can check the Xorg log - or
if you only *want* it to use a particular one - you can make it the
only option by setting it as the only "Modes" value in the Screen
SubSection.

Again, from what I see your current file will only do 1360x768.

Just make sure you back up any working xorg.conf files, and that you
can access your myth box remotely should a misconfigured xorg result
in no image.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine