[mythtv-users] A Source for Precompiled builds of the trunk

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 8 17:30:20 UTC 2008

On 07/08/2008 12:51 PM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>
>> I have been running trunk for a while now and have read report from
>> others that mention it is now quite stable.  My trunk build has been great.
>> I would love to see the trunk rpm builds start again if you could Axel?
>>
> Does this mean trunk is no longer verboten for mere users?

Anyone can run trunk whenever they want.  Anyone running trunk should
not complain when things don't work.

People who would rather record and watch TV than spend time reading the
-dev and -commits list and writing patches and fixing bugs should
probably run -fixes rather than trunk.

People who run trunk and don't keep up with the -dev and -commits list
can waste a lot of the developers' free time, which they volunteer to
use to make Myth better for all of us, by posting invalid/redundant bug
reports or asking questions about how things are supposed to work when
they were explained in tickets/commit messages or posts to the -dev list.

So, as usual, if you just want a Myth box, -fixes is the way to go.  If
you want to write code for Myth (and you have the motivation to get into
the code by yourself rather than needing someone to hold your hand and
explain how everything currently works), then dig into the code /and/
the lists (to catch up with changes since 0.21 release and to keep up
with future changes) and feel free to run trunk.  And, IMHO, you should
remember that when a recording fails or Myth segfaults, it's your fault
for running trunk and not having fixed the problem yourself.  ;)

BTW, I'm still running 0.21-fixes on my production boxes.  I only run
trunk on my -dev box.

Mike