[mythtv-users] The new Acer Aspire X1200 - $459, looks great, could be a combined FE/BE

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Wed Jul 9 04:16:07 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
>> I paid $299 for my Zalman HD-160 (I bought it the day it came out) and
>> I've been so happy with it. I was much happier spending the money up
>> front and not question if I bought the right case down the line.
>>
> I am not going to argue that these are not good cases because they are
> but at these prices I would do much better with a prebuilt system that
> costs less than $500 for everything.
>
> John

I am not sure I really have much to contribute here but my first mythtv
box, my prototype, was so loud my wife wouldn't stay in the living room
with it.  I didn't mind it but then again, I listened to too much rock
and roll as a youth so I don't hear like she does.

I bought this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121010
for ONLY $36

I added a quiet power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005
for $60

A couple of these quiet cooling fans:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835191005&Tpk=ixp-34-16
at $8 each

One of these quiet fans:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226021
at $14

And my cheap case was only $126.

but didn't have one of these nice VFD displays:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999045
at $66

But I did save $44 over this $170 beautiful case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226021

Unless I decide to get the VFD, in which case I will be out $22 and not
have a knob or the nice looking case.

But then again,I wanted a ATX MB and not a micro MB so getting the cheap
case for almost the same money and less features seemed like a good idea
at the time.  And, that case was just the size I wanted, although it
seems a little big now that I have it.

Wow, I should have bought the more expensive case .......

Allen